Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Ticks and Duck Tape.

Spent the weekend at the lake. We went geocaching Saturday at Itasca State Park for the new Wildlife Safari series that the Minnesota Parks have put out. After caching in the park we went for a drive through the forest roads. Jo saw that there was a cache about 1/2 away. As we drove past a hiking trail I caught the name Carver Lake on a post. Hey this must be Carver Lake Overlook (Clearwater County) cache that we have been meaning to get to.

We decided to go for it. The hiking trail started off with short grass, so we were not too worried about ticks. Got about half way to the cache and we started to pick up ticks. It was nuts, walk a hundred feet, stop, pull ticks, walk, stop to pull more ticks. You get the picture. I'm thinking we (me) must have pulled about 50-100 ticks off.

When we got back to the truck it was time to strip down for a tick check. Good thing nobody drove by as I was standing by the road in my undies. If someone would have driven by, I think that I would have just waved. We found a new use for duck tape. It works great for pulling off small ticks that are climbing around.






Next time I will make sure to bring the Deet!


Here is some good information from the Minnesota Department of Health on Ticks:
http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/dtopics/tickborne/prevention.html




Spray before geocaching!

No comments: