Monday, June 15, 2009

Television At The Lake



Television at the lake.

We have always been able to pull in at least 2-3 television stations at the lake. When the rooftop antenna was stolen in the 1970’s we were still able to pull in 2-3 stations with the rabbit ears. Didn’t watch much TV during the day back then, but Dad always had to watch the news and weather and if it was a weeknight Johnny Carson would have to be on.

On Saturday night it would be us kids watching Chevy Chase and the rest of the Not Ready For Prime-Time Players. Remember "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!" The television set at that time was a 13 inch black and white. Remember black and white TV? The current television is a 25 inch color set and is at least 30 years old and has no remote. It’s a darn good machine and is built to last. These days instead of Carson on the tube, it’s David Letterman. I still like to check out Saturday Night Live, but it’s really a hit and miss show. It’s just not the same.

The CBS News Sunday Morning Show is one that I enjoy watching with a hot cup of coffee.

With the ending of analog signals I was beginning to worry that the old TV would no longer work. When the government came out with the coupons for the digital converter boxes and I snapped one up. Problem solved, so I thought.

After conducting some research earlier this spring I found the following FCC website: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/ . After entering Roy Lake I was a bit surprised that the only signal it showed that I might get would be PBS out of Black Duck. The maps also showed that my current channels (like KBJB below) would no longer reach as far as Roy Lake.

Satellite TV was a thought, but I soon concluded that it would not be worth the $500-$600 per year fee (yes you can call me cheap). After conducting some more research, I decided to install a new antenna. The old antenna was a used freebee that was falling apart. I had tried it, but it did not pull in any digital signals. On the 14th after a visit to Menards and $200 later we left for the lake.

Spent Saturday installing the new antenna and was able to test it out that night. Turned on the TV and after playing with the converter box was able to pull in KXJB out of Fargo. It was the best reception that I recall getting out there. On Sunday morning I played around and was able to get KXJB CBS 4, KVLY NBC 11, WDAY ABC 6, The CW, and WDAY Radio and Weather. To say the least, I was very happy. Next time I’m at the lake I’ll have to try to see what else comes in.


Here is a view of Roy Lake from the rooftop of the cabin. It was 77 degrees with no breeze.

No comments: